effective as of January 1, 2019
FIYA Basketball Rules
- Both teams to say FIYA Pledge prior to start of game at center circle.
- It is recommended that teams that do not have reversible jersey tops bring at least 5 pinnies in the event both teams have same colored tops.
- Division 1 or D1 is for students in grades 8th grade and below. ABSOLUTELY NO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ALLOWED TO PLAY. Division 2 or D2 are for students in grades 6th grade and below. ABSOLUTELY NO 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS ALLOWED TO PLAY. There are age requirements as well. Check the FIYA Regulations Manual on www.onfiya.org.
- Schools with multiple teams in FIYA – players on teams MAY NOT play on more than one team.
- Game consists of two 20 minute halves. Clock runs except as stated below. Halftime is 3 minutes in length. Each team is allowed four timeouts per game.
- During last three (3) minutes of the second half, clock should be stopped on a referee’s whistle if margin is 15 or less. The clock should be re-started only when a player in bounds on the court touches the ball.
- If tied, overtime consists of a two minute period. If tied still, another two minute period. If tied still after two overtimes, sudden death (first team to score a point wins). Teams are allowed one timeout per overtime. There is no carry over of timeouts in any overtime period. Clock stops on all dead ball whistles in overtime.
- If team leads by 30 points or more with 10 minutes or less in second half, this is a mercy. Game may continue at judgment of referees and consent of both coaches with the score turned off and a continuously running clock.
- The ball size is intermediate or 28.5 for Girls D-1 & D-2 and Boys D-2 and regular or 29.5 for Boys D-1.
- Backcourt defense is allowed at all times. 10 seconds to cross half court for both boys and girls. No backcourt press during mercy play.
- 5 individual or personal fouls on a player per game and he/she is disqualified.
- Technical fouls recorded as personal fouls; any player or coach ejection likely will result in 2 game suspension.
- 7 to 9 team fouls per half allows opponent to be in Single Bonus and 10 team fouls or more per half allows opponent to be in Double Bonus.
- For anything not specifically mentioned above or in the FIYA Regulations Manual, CIF high school basketball rules apply.